Monday, November 30, 2009

Last name


When you start dating someone, it's hard to escape thinking about long-term problems you may encounter, but there is one that is pretty easy to recognize. A last name.

I'm talking about those names that just aren't great (I thought about giving examples and then I realized I wouldn't want to offend anyone, sorry Mr.Butts, but that last name is truly unfortunate). They may just be a bad name on its own, or you could heighten it's horribleness if you take it on.

So my dilemma, if you can call it that, is that my initials are NERL. And yes for those of you who I went to high school with, that was my nickname. In grade 12 I won "Best nickname", although I don't think many girls had nicknames, or at least ones they knew about (cough, swamp donkey, cough....kids are so mean!). Anyways, what's my dilemma you ask? I have for a long time been very aware of the fact that I would encounter problems if i married a guy with the last name that started with a 'D'. Catch on yet? New initials: NERD. Not cool.

So, luckily I do not have this problem, but it got me thinking about women changing their names, and other options available just out of curiosity and found this neat article: Should You Change Your Last Name?, which had some pretty neat insights, reasons why people do or do not change their names, and some solutions.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting article! I always thought I'd change my last name, unless the dude's name was something really unfortunate. I saw a guy on TV once who had the last name "Hoar". Pronounced like whore. Not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only way you could get away with a name like "Hoar"is pronounce is "Oar" and claim it's french lol....i already feel bad for the unborn children born into bad names

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, as your mother I would like to say that your father and I did spell out all of the initals of all our children before naming you guys - nerl never entered our mind as something you might be teased about! although we did not think about you getting married and changing your name because our daughter was going to be a virgin forever so we didn't have to think about those things! now your sister Deanna (banana) might have something to complain about! :) Mom (NEG)(NEL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just googled 'my name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die' and I found all the clips when he triumphantly declares it in one video and oh dear I could not stop laughing, thank you for reminding me of Inigo.

    Anyway last names - I once dated a Butt. I couldn't stop imagining being on Jay Leno's headlines - i.e. - It's the Butt Hickey wedding! Or god forbid if I chose to hyphenate - Hickey Butt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who has struggled with having a horrible last name for many years.. I applaud you for having the courage to stand up and be heard (sorry to your mom).

    I was speaking with a co-worker yesterday and told her that i would question the mental health of the woman i marry if she willingly chooses to take my last name...

    Also... Swamp Donkey... haha I love it!

    ReplyDelete