Friday, November 27, 2009

Err....congrats?? I'm sorry?


So as many of you know, I have the privilege of working as a cashier at a local grocery store. sometimes it can be utterly frustrating, funny, weird, and entertaining. so I've started a new category, 10 items or less, to share my experiences.

Two observations came from a recent shift:

1) I've worked as a grocery cashier on and off for about three years. Over time I've grown to ignore what people are buying. Mostly because I don't care, or people are buying things that I don't want to know why they are buying it or why they are using it. (i.e. people buying lube. I've been told that it can be used on windshields for rain protection, sort of like the product RainX, so when I see someone buying this and it makes me shutter, I assume it's for their windshield) But occasionally a product catches my eye. Enter pregnancy tests.

Usually mixed with the regular milk, snacks and other regular groceries, there is a pregnancy test.

So when I see these I cannot help but wonder: are they excited, or are they like eff my life!

And you know what? It's really hard to tell. And based on my observations I've come to a conclusion: There's no gray area- people are either very excited or they look like they might throw up on my grocery belt. (Note: please don't throw up on my belt or I will quit)

Observation 2: I also have the privilege of observing many awkward social situations. Sometimes people argue over who is going to pay and both people are pushing each other's hands out of the way to pay, as if I'm going to decide who's paying. Um...................nooo thanks-that's awkward!

I also have the pleasure of seeing people get mad at the people who are with them. Sometimes it's a stressed out parent with a kid crying bc hey can't get candy etc. Last night I observed a couple fight. Wait, "fight".

Turns out, it was actually the most hilarious disagreement I've seen. I told them their total and the husband went to reach for his wallet, didn't have enough cash and asked his wife what she had. She replied "Don't you have your credit card?" of which he checked one more pocket and found it, within 2 seconds mind you. While I was ringing through the credit card, she said "Hunnie? I'm sorry for being so exacerbated, but I was annoyed because you didn't check all of your pockets." His reply "That's ok hunnie, I only checked one pocket so I don't blame you." and that was it- the funniest couple disagreement between a real-life Ned and Maud Flanders. I don't know if they are both therapists, have attended therapy or are genuinely calm, reasonable people but it was the most hilarious disagreement when it came to paying that I've seen. And probs to the lady for busting out the word "exasperated" like it's no big thing. It was a text-book apropriate way to manage a conflict between too people.

Perhaps we can take lessons away of getting into small fights, or we can be normal and do it our own way.

2 comments:

  1. I once had a no-scan on a pregnancy test that a small, terrified-looking Asian girl was buying. The person (who will remain nameless) who did the price check for me could not have been less discreet.

    Humiliating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how me and Alex fight too...lol

    ReplyDelete