Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Knitting: Not your grandmother's hobby!


As you can probably tell, I quite enjoy doing crafts and crafty things. One thing I have tried to do but didn't quite get into was: knitting. Who doesn't love something handmade and knitted? New modern techniques and patterns allow for amazing and really cool things to wear! And for some reason, I'm sure of which can be proven scientifically, is that mittens that were knitted for you somehow keep your hands warmer-or perhaps your heart is just warmer? :)

Anyways! I have yet to dapple in knitted creations but really want to- it's one of this things that I've always wanted to do. It is an inexpensive hobby and something fun that you can do to keep your hands busy while you watch tv or pass time. Speaking of that, I came across this article: Idle Pastime: In Off Hours, Truckers Pick Up Stitching With Less to Haul, Drivers Try New Hobbies; Quilting in the Cab, on a blog I read. And yup, it's exactly what you think.

Basically the article is about truckers who, during the tough economy, have less haul and more downtime and have taken up quilting and knitting! I think my favorite quote from the whole article was this: "The fact that you can take strands of thread and basically make something out of it, that's awesome I think," he said. "It's pretty cool stuff, man." Beside the quote is a picture of him, Kevin Abraham-Banks, a trucker, and he is making a sweater for his wife! How cute is that?

Anyways, for those who would like to knit there is hope for you! You can: YouTube it and teach yourself, ask someone to teach you (most people who already know how to knit are more than happy to help you) or take a class (if you live in the city!). The Loop on Barrington Street in Halifax, offers a variety of knitting and crocheting classes (pre req for Beginner Knitting?: You can't knit.) The classes there cost around $50 and it includes your materials. I'm sure it's totally worth it and a skill you won't be able to put down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment