Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A patchwork of comfort


The following is a piece I wrote about a prized posession for my advanced writing class- it will soon be turned into a podcast and perhaps I'll post it-but it depends on how much I hate hearing my voice! Enjoy :)

Even if I curl up as tight as I can, it barely covers me-but what it lacks in size, it makes up in comfort. I, as a 26-year-old woman openly admit that I still have a security blanket, or more affectionately known as “Blankie”.

Blankie was handmade with loving care by my grandmother in the anticipation of her first grandchild back in 1983. Although she has since passed away, Blankie is a special connection that I have to her. Although we were generations apart, sewing and quilting was a pastime we shared and bonded over and helps me appreciate the hours, days, months and love put into Blankies’ fruition.

At first Blankie was white, with bright blue pattern patches mixed with swatches adorned with ducks, rattles and other toys. Now, Blankie looks like the item that wasn't washed with the latest detergent: it's dark, dingy and stained. Let me assure you that my Blankie is a well-kept and clean item. However, with each wash in the machine, Blankie further deteriorates reaffirming that as I age, Blankie does too.

Blankie is my personal version of the Velveteen Rabbit, even as it becomes shabby; I love it all the same. My family over the years has moved around quite a bit and Blankie is that staple of comfort when I was somewhere new and unknown.

Blankie is my connection to my Nanny and it’s comforting to have it waiting for me when I get home. So, as not many people know of the existence of Blankie, it will continue to be my dirty little secret, or as I prefer my clean, comforting secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment