Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sew what!



Sewing seems to be a skill that our parents and grandparents were proficient at but something we only dappled in (grade 7 sewing class was the extent for some of us). So I, as an avid cross stitcher transfer some of my skills to sewing (there is a difference between the two). I've had a few conversations with some of my friends who have always wanted to learn to sew.

So, here I am compiling a few good resources for those who want to teach themselves to sew!

Martha Stewart.com- offers projects (complete instructions, materials and tools lists), templates and help with techniques. March 30th, Martha is launching "Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts". I have yet to see it (obviously) but I do own her Encyclopedia of Crafts, and it's amazing and so easy to follow and I assure you that this will be as well.

Design*Sponge- I've already mentioned this in a previous blog, however they have some recent posts with Sewing 101 projects and techniques.

The best thing about sewing, is that you can learn by doing- making mistakes is ok-it's the best way to learn. If you want some cheap fabric to test on, check out: Walmart by the cutting counter- they often have scraps pre-cut for cheap prices, secondhand stores always have napkins and scrap fabric, and fabric stores always have good bargain buys.

For those who need some more structure, fabric store (i.e. Atlantic Fabric) offer sewing classes (a common pre req is complete lack of knowledge on sewing, so don't be scared!) Also, if you're scared- start out with a kids project to get familiar!

Anyways hope this helps to motivate you to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment