Saturday, January 23, 2010

Save time off your life!


As some of you might already know, I rarely wear matching socks. I don't remember when I started this, it's been quite some time since I've actually matched them. Conditions under which I do wear matching socks:

1) When I go somewhere important that there is a possibility that my socks will be seen.
2) I open my drawer and they just happen to be beside each other (even then, sometimes then they are passed over).

When I take off my shoes people often point out that my socks are miss-matched (well aware :) lol) which then leads to: why?....lol.

Well, when you do laundry, during the dryer process there somehow opens a portal to an unknown dimension where socks sometimes disappear. Other items of clothing don;t go there, just socks, and not too often that you notice it every time. So that is reason number one: mystery dryer sock portal to nowhere. (This is legit & you know it, google it, many people have hypotheses, theories and random explanations).

Reason 2: It wastes my time. Let's say that you take an average of 12 seconds to match your socks (whether is be post-dryer run, or in your sock drawer). I'm 26 years old, lets say that I've been matching my socks up to age 13 (just a guess). So, let's say for 13 years I have not been wasting my time matching my socks. So, 365 days per year (plus 4 leap years, so 4 days, now 369), 12 seconds per day so that's 4380 seconds per year, times 13 years, that's 56,940 seconds plus the leap year extra days, 48 seconds so in total that would be approximately: 56,988 seconds.

Translation: 949,8 minutes, or 15.83 hours. That my friends is a lot of time-just merely dedicated to matching socks. So instead if I took this 15.83 hours, I could actually drive to Bangor, Maine (according to google maps) and back, and still have time for lunch and a few pit stops.

People in my life have tried to introduce some techniques to help me: my grandmother purchased me "Duo Socks" which are little feet-shaped plastic pieces with two pronged-holes in which you place your socks before washing them. Perfect for avoiding the black hole of socks, but not for what I now consider good personal taste, a personal preference and clearly as shown, a huge time saver. To you Duo sock: you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

My mother, supporter of this quirky habit showed me this website: Little Miss Matched. Their slogan: Think outside the socks. This site sells packages of three socks, not matching but sometimes a similar family of designs. They have also have a section for you to design your own socks- really neat!

Anyways, really long blog post but hope you enjoy and consider the amount of time that you (and I already have) saved on miss-matching socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment