Friday, February 5, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder- Yum-O!


If I had to guess I would say that it has been about minus a billion outside in the past little while and to me, this is unacceptable. I actually am not a winter hater like many, in fact I am a winter baby- born on Winter solstice. But I find it difficult to appreciate winter and it's beauty on days where I think even my bones are frozen. Solution? Find quick ways to thaw out.

I'm going to share my heart healthy chicken corn chowder recipe that my dad always makes- it is soooooooooooo good, will warm you up and is so easy to make.

So I am not a cook. I make about 3 things well (including KD, which I have mastered in the microwave ps). But this is so simple and involves a lot of nice healthy ingredients and also good to note is that it freezes well to save up for the next cold spell. So here is some yummy for your tummy, enjoy!:

Chicken Corn Chowder

1 t olive oil
1 lg onion finely chopped
1 red pepper diced
1 all purpose potato – peeled and diced
2 slices bacon diced (optional)
1 cup of chicken broth
1 can evaporated skim milk
1 can creamed corn
¾ lb of skinless, boneless chicken breasts – cut up in bite size pieces
½ t salt
¼ t pepper
¾ cup of frozen corn niblets
parsley for garnish

1. In a medium saucepan heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat; add onion, red pepper, potatoes and bacon; cook, stirring occasionally until potatoes begin to soften (about 5 min.); stir in chicken broth, evaporated skim milk and creamed corn; bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in chicken; add salt and pepper; cook until chicken is cooked through (about 5 minutes); stir in frozen corn niblets and continue to cook until corn is heated through (just 2 to 3 minutes more).
3.Sprinkle with parsley; serve; enjoy ☺

Ps if you make this invite me over-I'm very good at being an official taste tester :)

No comments:

Post a Comment